History of the Building @ 504 South Ann Street
The building has always been freestanding and, as far as the records show, was originally a farmhouse built in 1799. The length of the original structure was from the front door to the first load bearing wall (where the men’s room door is currently). More of the home was added on to, we believe, slowly over the years. We found a newspaper dated 1919 stuffed behind some plaster on the third floor so we think renovations occurred at that time to create extended family living space.
The liquor license itself dates back to just after Prohibition was lifted in 1934. One might think it may have operated as a speakeasy prior to the end of Prohibition but this is, of course, speculation.
The license was register to a woman named Angeline (Angel) Ludkey (sic) and the bar was called Miss Angels. She sold or transferred the license to her daughter 30 years later. Miss Angels and ran it for about 20 years when it was bought by Peter Denzer. Pete renamed the place Peters Inn and many people referred to it as “that Biker Bar” as it drew this crowd through the 80s and early 90s.
In 1995, Karin and Bud Tiffany took over the bar from Pete after Karin had been working there for several years serving food. Since they’ve been running it, the menu changes every week with the exception of the salad, garlic bread and steaks, which are always a constant. The place has evolved from being known as mainly a bar to now known predominantly for its outstanding cuisine. It continues to receive awards and has maintained an outstanding food rating from Zagat.
The crowd is very diverse and although it is no longer known as a biker crowd, it an eclectic one. It still draws ‘motorcycle enthusiasts’ as well as lawyers, doctors, actors and lots of neighborhood folks.